For any chef or home cook – the importance of looking after your kitchen knives is invaluable!
“Why?” you may ask.
Because keeping your kitchen knives happy means that they will last longer, cut perfectly every time & more than likely, help you slice/dice/chop better & faster – decreasing your prepping time and allowing more time for sitting back and enjoying the finished product!
These are our top tips on Keeping your Kitchen Knives happy:
- Storage – the best place to keep your knives is in a knife block, on a mounted magnetic strip or sheathed in a drawer – as this will avoid knives getting damaged
- Clean – like all utensils, cleaning them directly after use means that they will stay healthy & hygenic. Take a warm soapy cloth and gently scrub, then rinse with warm water & dry with a clean cloth before packing away.
- Dry & Oiled – For carbon steel knives, rust can creep up without you realising it – so enusre that you oil the knive with food-grade mineral oil immediately after use to help prevent rust forming.
- Sharpening – a blunt blade can be dangerous not to mention frustrating to work with – so ensure that you keep your knives sharp! Either with a whetstone, blade sharpener or sharpening steel.
- Cutting Surface – hard to believe, but the surface on which you slice/dice/chop can actually damage your knife! Avoid ceramic, glass, marble & granite surfaces and invest in plastic & wooden boards instead!
Maxine is a South African experiencing her 7th year living in Brussels and still can’t speak French… married to HIM who speaks 5 languages (& thankfully with French being one of them!). Loving food in all its glory… reading about it, making it and eating it! She writes Why I Am Not Skinny. Follow her on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.